Video has become one of the preferred ways of consuming news media and in many countries, like in Asia and in America, the preference betwen video and text is now equally split while in Europe there is still a slight preference for reading text.
Different reasons have contributed to the rise of video:
- Mobile is the preferred news consumption device and reading on mobile can be tough on small screens
- Cellular network speeds have improved
- Ubiquitous wi-fi access
- Upcoming 5G services
All of the above have made high quality/long video possible. Likewise, audio only content has also grown in popularity.
Undeniably the efforts of a newsroom need to significantly focus on video contributions:
- Create original video content
- Publish live streaming channels
- Create engaging stories that can be accessed either by users that prefer reading and users that favour playing a video – or both.
Video handling needs to be fast and easy (yes, sounds obvious but it’s true). Videos are a crucial component of breaking news nowadays, handling video cannot slow down the publishing process.
Atex Desk, our multi-channel content management system for Newsrooms, offers video management functionality by integrating the video platforms of choice for our customers. However, we also wanted to offer a fully integrated and shrink-wrapped solution that could cover the end to end workflows, from video ingestion to video delivery in our own frontend platform, ACE.